Sunday, January 3, 2010

RAPISTS AND PUNISHMENT


Disclaimer: I, Jason Williams in no way seek to justify any course of action by any person who wishes to force himself or herself sexually onto another non-consenting human being. (This may be one of my most controversial posts yet, but I felt it needs to be discussed folks).

I always thought that something was fundamentally wrong with those who choose to go out and rape. However, I also feel that the way in which we deal with such persons is completely off base. Clearly, jailing these type of people doesn’t fix the problem, for they come out and become repeat offenders. The question should be, are these people mentally sick? Will incarceration fix the problem, completely? I honestly do not think our current punishment system in place is actually fixing these types of special offenders. The current process is failing to protect society from these intruders. I would say more needs to be learned about the rapist’s brain in order for us to further divulge ourselves into the punishment or treatment process. Perhaps something more in the field of psychology and psychiatry can be developed to better “fix” and/or help these people. Of course I know many people will think of castration, but that will be highly debatable on the grounds of morality.

Many of these offenders clearly admit that they are not in control of their actions. They claim to hear voices, etc. Some would even admit their genuine sexual attraction for youngsters. These are admissions that I don’t think can be fixed by jailing, but rather with extensive medical care. Perhaps a new form of study can be developed to study these types of folks, so that we can bring about better treatment to rectify this unique but ever increasing problem. I really don’t have much to say on this issue; however, I’d love to hear what others have to say on this matter? If you were in charge of setting policy on this issue what would you prescribe?

No comments:

Post a Comment